06 marzo, 2010

I pulled the lighter out of my pocket, leaning against the chipped white rail of my mother front porch, and light a cigarette. The grass is dewy, & from my angle, the sun only accentuates the otherwise subtle sparkle.

I take one last drag deep into my lungs, & carelessly, with a quick flick from my thumb, send the butt sailing into the center of the perfectly kept front lawn.

"Where the hell is he?" I wonder, impatiently waiting for the 4-door Ford to come flying around the corner.

"One more day of hell" I think to myself, contemplating another cigarette. In the distance, the faint, low draing sound of double time drums blare from an average car stereo. Finally... 20 minutes late. As usual, he refuses to pull into the driveway. I start towards the car. He barely acknoledges his friend, as his off-key singled out sing-along continues.

"I can't believe you actually enjoy listening to this shit" I say. He playfully gives me the finger & smashes the off botton on the dial.

"Good morning, sunshine. Where the hell did you go last night? Why didn't you anwered the phone? I was worried about you, Nia"

I swallow hard, and accept the fact that I'll never be able to tell him where I went last night. Never be able to tell him what my Mom has done. So I paint a smirk where my woe should be... & turn the music back.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario